It's all about you...
As I was showering today I started thinking about some transformation that has been going on in my life recently. I suppose I've understood for some time that life is what you make it, that I control my destiny. The world around you (people, politics, etc.) have a very minor role in your quality of life. Do I have my career or live in San Francisco because someone told me I had to take this path? Absolutely not. The choices I made in the past put me where I am today. Did I make good choices or bad choices? If I made bad choices, did I learn from them and correct my way? Do I act as if someone or something has control of my life or am I clearly in control?
So, while I've know of this control theory for some time and have even practiced it to some extent, I've only recently fully embraced it. I've learned that by taking responsibilty for my life I have more control of what the future looks like. Does that mean the path is clear and that it's a given - of course not. Course correction will be an on-going endeavor. But what is clearer to me is the importance of goals. I learned the goal principal professionally years ago - if you don't know where you're going, you can't get lost - but, you also may end up someplace you don't really care to be.
I've had goals before - I want to own a decent sized home that I can afford; I want to be closer to my optimal weight, in shape; I want to be comfortable enough financially to be able to weather an extended job loss. The thing is - I never acted like these were real goals. Could I have done any of these things? You better believe it. Can I still do these things? Absolutely! The real question is - will I? Will I take responsibility for these goals and take real steps to make them happen? Will I stop buying things I don't really need so that I can save money? Will I stop eating all the things I know are bad for me and make good use out of the money I pay to the gym each month? Will I research what it takes to own an affordable home and start taking those steps?
None of these things are even difficult. I just have to choose to do them. I just have to stop being a victim of life - or really, my lack of good choices.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home