Celebration of Life...
Today was Wess' celebration of life party at Marlena's. I've been to Marlena's so many times - though never at Noon - but I've never seen the place so alive. The event was from Noon to 3pm and I arrived at about 12:05 expecting a formal program. It wasn't - just a party for his friends to get together. By 12:30 you couldn't move because the crowd was so large.
It made me miss Wess even more, sad that I didn't know him better. He clearly had an impact on so many people. The crowd was as diverse as it gets - straight people, gay men, lesbians, transvestites, drag queens, even dignitaries (Supervisor Bevan Dufty and City Treasurer Jose Cisneros) - representing most races and walks of life. Everyone had a personal story about Wess. He loved country music and drag shows. He made a faux fur bedspread and a hat out of the remaining material - gave the hat to a female co-worker.
Everyone said the same thing - never knew someone so alive, so caring. He touched so many.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home