star athlete...
this morning the cats woke me up - just as they do every morning - at just around 6am. I got up and fed them, went to the bathroom and headed back to bed. unfortunately, it's daylight savings time and it was bright as blazes outside making it difficult for me to fall asleep again. perhaps james is correct - we need bedroom curtains. that can be our little secret. instead of getting up I just laid there and as my mind tends to do in quiet times it started to wander off into my history.
this time I was taken back to my grade school days. it was a time filled with friends, tonka trucks and sports. I knew every member of the Pittsburgh Steelers and Pittsburgh Pirates rosters - including stats. I collected baseball cards and Matchbox cars. I had a giant box of Legos - not a themed kit like they market today but a giant box of pieces and parts. oh, and I had three girlfriends all at the same time from 3rd through 5th grades.
my mind fixed in on one particular segment of that time - athletics. of the neighborhood kids I was the star athlete. in football I was always able to find the opening - whether throwing or catching. in basketball I could play around the world better than any of them. in wiffleball I could hit the ball amazingly (sometimes annoyingly) far. annoyingly because they used to make me run and get the ball because they got tired of getting it.
if Ihad just kept my mouth shut during the junior high days, I might have been a professional athlete.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home