Saturday, April 16, 2005

smoking with a queen...

the first weekend in June we're headed back to pennsylvania for my nephew's wedding. I'm the best man - which reminds me that I gotta get crackin on that speech. this week I finally booked the airline tickets and rental car. as the wedding itself is in a remote area of north western pennsylvania I wasn't able to book a motel at the same time. I asked several family members where they were staying and found that there is a rather large event going on in this backwoods town, an event that has sucked up the best lodging available. combined with a mix-up in the standard holding of rooms for wedding guests and the options are quite limited.

this morning I set about conquering this challenge. my first call was to the motels known to be sold out. surely my charm could overcome any loosely held reservations. my first call was to the motel where my brother is staying. after about 30 rings a woman I would guess to be about 35-40 years old, long hair with a poof at the bangs, chain-smoker, 4 kids and a husband that works on tractors for a living answered the phone. after checking her accomodation tracking system - probably an extra large wall calendar - she came back online to tell me that all she had was "smoking with a queen." I had to pause for a moment to keep from laughing before I thanked her, hung up the phone and laughed hysterically.

the first response that came to me "yes, but do you have any rooms?" would have been lost on her.

my second and fourth calls would find me talking to boys who would have laughed with me. I'm relieved.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home