Saturday, November 06, 2004

response to DNC questionaire...

7. Please share other thoughts and comments you have about the 2004 election and what Democrats and the Democratic Party should do going forward.

here's the deal...

First, John Kerry was NOT our best chance of defeating George Bush - two rich, hetero, white guys. To his credit he did an amazing job and made the race closer than I ever expected he could. We need to find the next Bill Clinton - someone the regular joe Americans can relate to. Someone we'd find interesting enough that we'd want to have dinner or a drink with. Dr. Dean was probably the closest we came.

Second, we can't just follow the path the Republicans choose to lead us down. Why is it that they were able to set the agenda topics? Why is it that they were able to side-track us with Kerry's military record? Why is it that no one is nailing President Bush to a cross right now for his handling of the Iraq war? Why is it that Democrats are portrayed as less than moral?

Finally, we have to stop being so wishy-washy. Screw the polls. Let's take a tough stand on something for a change. Gay marriage for instance. I almost abstained from voting for President just for the fact that the "most liberal Democrat" doesn't even support gay marriage. People like SF Mayor Gavin Newsom should be at the forefront of this party, not back-stabbed for taking a hard (and just) stance. Quite honestly, I would much rather have lost 90/10 on November 2nd knowing that we stood up for hard choices.

It's good management practice not to hire someone just because you have found the best of the bunch even though they aren't what you're really looking for. It will be very difficult for me as a gay man to continue to support Democratic candidates who don't truly represent me. I'm really sick and tired of voting for the lesser of two evils.

I promise you this - if the DNC doesn't give me a Presidential candidate I can feel good about standing behind in 2008, you won't get my money or my vote. Same for anyone else seeking my vote.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home