london trip 3: siteseeing day 2
today I had my Buckingham Palace tickets (for 9:30am)
I got up in plenty of time - even chatted with James a bit
he was freaked out that I talked to him last night on the way home from the bar
and this morning - both the same day for him
so, decide to take a nice leisurely stroll to BP
stopped along the way and got coffee and a danish (no, not whole wheat)
get about 3/4 of the way there and realize that I left the ticket back in the room
I had 30 minutes to get back to the hotel and then back to BP
I walked as fast as I could back to the hotel, got my ticket (5 flights of stairs) and got a cab
the cab driver was gorgeous and efficient
he got me back with 5 minutes to spare
then circled back when he found I'd left my water in his cab
then he refuse my offer of a tip (they don't do that much over here)
it was so sweet
I'm glad I purchased the guidebook because you aren't allowed pictures inside
but, it's as gorgeous as you would expect - so glad I did the tour
also got to tour the gardens on my way out - they have the cutest boys on staff there!
afterwards I made my way to Victoria station - a huge train station, but not very ornate
perhaps if I hadn't just come from BP
from Victoria Station I headed over to Westminster Abby (the long way)
WA was amazing...dead people for days, beautiful architecture
an attendant made me take my hat off - respect for the dead, I guess
again - no pictures inside, but lots outside
most excitingly, right inside the enterance was a huge statue in honor of William Pitt - who founded Pittsburgh
strolled over to Parliment for pics - security was out of control
if you hadn't heard they've had several security breaches over the last few days
8 protesters made their way to the main floor, then a reporter smuggled bomb material in
there were bobbies (not boobies, bobbies) everywhere
I couldn't get onto Downing street to get a pic of the Prime Minister's residence
did get a far away pic of the door...well, to be more accurate, the door frame
crossed the Thames near Big Ben to get my tickets for the London Eye
the LE is a giant bicycle wheel that the Brits hate!
then, about 1/4 of the way up my back-up battery died...the first died at BP
so, no magnificent panaramas from up high...did get some shots lower though
since I didn't have picture capability and my feet were already killing me I decided to call it a day and went back to the hotel for a nap
now at almost 7pm my time I've realized that all I've eaten today was that danish this morning
how does this happen? I guess it doesn't matter that it was laden with carbs
tonight I'm not sure what I'm doing...may be low key
they have a night tour bus that I might take - since both my and my camera batteries are recharged
tomorrow I want to get another early start (no tickets to forget)
think I'll start off with the Tower of London and work my way over to St. Pauls
after the wax bust I've scaled back my siteseeing list
then tomorrow afternoon I may go to Harrods - maybe they have luggage
miss you all very much already!
xoxo,
Dan


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home